Tuesday, June 15, 2010

accomplished & growing

Feeling accomplished. I've completed the tax computation for mummy and all I need is for her to sign off and we can mail it in to iras. I enjoy doing tax computation, though it is really simple for mum's company in this case. Compiling the tax schedules, computing wear & tear, going through deductible and non-deductible expenses and income. My school days ambition was to become a tax consultant. The closest I've come to this ambition is now - filing tax for mummy. I still try to read the tax updates, look at budget tax concessions; keeping myself abreast to tax changes. I'm not hoping to become a tax consultant anytime soon, but I think tax is one important component in any business.


I've also set up the spreadsheet for mummy to keep her ledger on. It is linked to a tb, p&l and bs so that makes things alot easier. The only manual thing is to type the ledger and journal entries in. I actually tapped into the template amy has set up for one of our subsidiaries, of which books were not maintained within navision. I think it will make things alot easier for mummy, as she won't have to tediously handwrite the entries on ledger cards. It will make referencing a whole lot easier. Will need to go through the template with her this weekend. =)

I managed to close May's accounts pretty smoothly. I got the conso report out in 2 half-days. I also compiled the Jun costing forecast for review. Next up is to do a study on some significant expenses and also to compile the SOP. Want to get these out of the way before quarter reporting next month.

I am 3 days shy to my 5th month with the company. Looking in retrospect, i think i have grown and developed over these months. I am thankful for all the encouragement family and friends have given me during the first few difficult months. Family members who have listened to my endless rants, friends who have left comments to cheer me on. Though i cannot celebrate that I have 'graduated' in this position, but I think i give thanks that i made some progress at least. Each step I take brings me one step closer to that finishing point.

I used to think why am i given so much more to do; often things beyond my scope. I realised it is my honour that the management trusts me enough to hand those tasks to me. These are opportunities I can prove that I am capable to do over and beyond what an accountant is required to do. It's just a matter of perspective, isn't it? I can't help lamenting at times, but i am learning to take things into stride. Like Friedrich Nietzsche said, "If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger".

No comments: