Tuesday, June 08, 2010

easiest-hardest

I kept thinking about this phrase dearie said this morning.

“sometimes the easiest things become the hardest to do.”

He was commenting in relation to my attempts to achieve decent half-boiled eggs. So far they have come out either too cooked or too raw.

Getting the egg thawed at room temperature. Getting the right amount of heat with the right amount of time. Ensuring it has time to cool down and set into nice gooey form. Half boiled eggs should be easy to make..but for me, it is turning out to be a challenge instead.

I relate some parallelism with human relationships. They say the people who are closest to us are often more easily taken for granted.

I never missed my mum so much after I moved out to my own place. On the first night we stayed in our new flat, I cried because I missed seeing my mum. I called her to listen to her voice that night. Having stayed with my mum for 26 years I never thought too much about her presence. It was only when I moved away from seeing her, my heart ached. Somehow there is a space mum always filled, oblivious till she disappeared.

They say we tend to say the most hurtful words to those who are closest to us. I think it’s because we take it for granted that those loved ones will not mind what we said and that they will stick around no matter what. We don’t fear losing them, hence we don’t think twice about how our words or actions will impact them. That’s selfish. Because I don’t think you will outrightly criticize your boyfriend/girlfriend/potential date. So why should you do so to your own family/loved ones?

We remember to wish our friends the best and tell them how they will be missed. How about our own family? Have you stopped to tell your mother how much you appreciated all that she has done? Or just to remember how she gave us life? Or just for that simple yet delicious meal she took time to make for us?

Well, sometimes the easiest things become the hardest to do.

No comments: